Sunday, March 4, 2007

the local market

I awoke on Saturday morning in excited anticipation. It was the first Saturday of the month. The day of the monthly local farmers market.
The debate over local versus organic food plays out in my head every time I grocery shop. At the nearest organic grocery store, there is little produce that is locally grown. Almost all fresh fruits and vegetables come from the U.S, Mexico, Chile. The amount of carbon emissions that are expelled from bringing grapes to my fridge hardly seems worth it.
In 2005 to 2006, Vancouverites Alisa Smith and James MacKinnon embarked on the '100-mile diet.' It was an effort to consume foods that were grown in a 100 mile radius - this even means the food fed to the chickens who laid their eggs. The experiment took intense dedication but proved manageable.
You can understand my excitement when I heard about the locally grown market.
I had visions in my head of stocking up on enough berries and vegetables that could last for a month. One thing that I failed to consider, however, is that it is still winter.
The market was small but busy and the vendors and shoppers were in good cheer. And there was a sense of community from everyone there.
The season, of course, inhibits what can be grown. The market was full of apples, asian pears, garlic, hazelnuts, plus baking and dips from local entrepreneurs.
There was also locally made cheese, fresh free-range eggs, and frozen salmon, pork and beef.
The market season starts between April and May but there are other ways to be more connected to your food. Organiko co-op places bulk organic orders for its members. Although much of the food is imported, the members are helping each other out by collectively reducing the cost and transportation of their food.
While three pears, a block of brie cheese and some garlic won't last me until the next market day, it's refreshing to know that there are avenues to build community and appreciation around food.

No comments: